Einklappen
X

• Filter
  • Zeit
  • Anzeigen
Alles löschen
neue Beiträge

• 2008-08-08 - US - 080808 PNW8s Mt. Baker Tour

I hope you all had a wonderful 080808 weekend! I am still recovering from our celebrations here in BC and the PNW.

Papa Wuffer kicked things off in style with a WrenchFest at his place in Langley British Columbia. 20-30 cars showed up and a lot of work was done. Many of us (including myself) had our headlights out for rebuilding and HID upgrades. It was great to meet the new owners, see the usual suspects again and to visit with that troublemaker Steve Cohen all the way up from California.

The next morning we met at the Alaska Ferry Terminal in Fairhaven WA for breakfast, check in and a driver's meeting. 19 cars braved the mucky PNW weather to join the drive. Everyone recieved their maps, forest passes and a Tour Guide highlighting the history, legends, wildlife and volcanoes of the area. Mt. Baker is after all...an active volcano.

First off was to head south on Chuckanut drive, a historic highway and long famed for its beautiful turns and views. Wuffer crosses an old bridge:

Photo by Jordan

We then toured through some farmlands near the tidal flats. Shown here is Cohen's 860:

Photo by Jordan

After a Krispy Kreme check point we headed out on some modest sweepers to get to the Overlook Golf Course. We stopped there to knock a few balls around to gain some more cards for the poker hands we were gathering at each checkpoint.

The drive took on a mission-like purpose as we turned into Sedro Woolley WA. Set back from the highway is an unobtrusive blue warehouse that is the home of the Helping Hands Foodbank. Out of the $45. fee for the tour, $40 was delivered by each participant to the food bank. They graciously laid out a feast of muffins, cookies, tea and coffee for us and gave us a tour of the warehouse. They feed 442 families a week and have ONE paid staffer. The other 39 staffers are volunteers who divvy up the rice and beans down to the grain to ensure that all the portions are fair. Helping Hands was as astounded by our generosity as we were by the irony of being treated to the snacks on this stop. (It was not in my game plan, I had only asked if they would like to personally accept our donations!)

The unoffical donation number is: $780.00
    (As a data point a recent rally involving 334 cars in this area raised only $1,300. for a cancer charity. I am very proud of our community's willingness to help others!)

I was the last one to walk out to my car from this checkpoint...and as I did everyone started firing up their engines. I have to say that the V12s and V8s were music to my ears, it really was a gorgeous sound. I raised my hand to my ear and grinned as everyone chimed in with a touch of their throttle. What a symphony!

We headed out through some forested lowlands, finding some hidden backroads with generous sightlines and nice turns. I wonder if anybody noticed 'Grip' road, 'Lois' lane or that Boss 443 tucked in someone's carport? This wasn't the most scenic part of the tour, but the driving was good.

The next checkpoint was at Scooter Stuff in Park Canyon. It is a ramshackle place in the middle of nowhere. On sunny days their parking lot is usually full of Harley Davidsons and ornery looking folk in black leathers. TOn the first test run I stopped at this place...and it took all of my courage to brush past the stares to talk to the owner. ...and I was in my Jeep Wrangler, not some 'snobby' BMW!

To my surprise, the owner 'Shell' was a sweetheart of a gal. She was more than happy to have a group of "Eight --what? BMWs?" visit her. And so we did and were treated to her signature self-serve ice cream:

Photo by Jordan

I then informed the drivers that there would be no more checkpoints until Artist Point, Mt. Baker. Out of Park Canyon, we took a diversion on a small backroad in the foothills. It rides like a rollercoaster. A quick turn from that onto the Mt. Baker highway and we started our ascent to 4,771 feet from near sea level.

Since I was a child I have gone up to Mt. Baker to enjoy the ski resort. The ride always made me carsick because I couldn't stop looking out the side windows in terror. My sole thought on these trips: 'we are going to die'. The cliffs are steep with narrow shoulders between the pavement and nothingness. Few if any guardrails either. Some drivers commented that they didn't know what to keep their eyes on-- those scary cliffs or the road itself! lol...I understood exactly what they meant.

Photo by Jordan

We all made it up with big grins. I had a few activities planned at this checkpoint, but after seeing everyone hop out of their cars with cameras in hand I knew that folks were having enough fun as it was. High tea will wait another day...but capturing a gathering like this was a priceless moment even if the weather was not cooperating:

Photo by Chromeowner

From left to right:
    Ian (850), Mummy Wuffy (850), Saj (Alpina clone), Derek (850), UZ4Play (850), Canadian8er (Custom color 850), FITCHIK (newly painted and utterly filthy in this photo 840), Chromeowner (850), Steve Cohen (860), Wuffer (Frankenbimmer 850), Paul (850), Miciah (850), Staehling (850), CKJumbo (DinanTT), Dan (840) In the foreground is Gunner (325i) who chased us all day with a camera.

After the photo opp we headed back down the hill to the Beer Shrine. It is a funky little tavern that brews its own beers and makes some decent pizzas.

Last one down is a rotten egg! Canadian8er leaves last for the Beer Shrine so he can have a few turns for himself:

Photo by Jordan

At the shrine we took over the bar and a large table for the kids. Dinner was loud and enjoyable. Poker hands were traded for some prizes provided by Phoenix Motorsport. After everyone cleared out I went in to fill up a gallon jug of wheat beer to take home. The waitress asked me if were were family.

"Why yes...yes we are."
    "Oh, I wondered because you were all talking about BMWs the entire time!"
    "Mmmhmmm" I nodded and grinned. I knew she wouldn't exactly understand if I said any more than that.

The last of the stragglers headed out after some more tinkering with their headlights. Canadian8er and I then set out for our own 'tour' to Chromeowner's island gearhead getaway where Steve was staying. It was a lovely visit and a terrific way to wrap up the long weekend.

A special thanks to:
    8-Fest for sponsoring the required forest passes for Artist Point.
    Phoenix Motorsport for the exceptionally well-made brake lines and centering ring prizes.
    Gunner (my son) for agreeing to chase us with a camera, his photos will be up in a day or so.
    Jordan for taking some incredible shots!
    UZ4PLAY and Aspen for sweeping the crew and ensuring the safety of all.

More pictures are coming...but here is an excellent set of photos taken by Jordan:
    Mt. Baker Slideshow
    1997 840ci, CC31469
    PNW8s Registrar

Thanks for a great writeup. Nice way to celebrate the 8 on 8/8/8. The PNW weather is clear in my memory from when I lived in Portland, OR, but the scenery is beautiful nonetheless.
    I am always impressed with what a tight-knit group of E31 owners there is in the PNW.

Cheers,
    Michael

Kommentar

guys guys ,
      u made my eyes tear! i loved ur meet i honestly wish i could have been with u. this is what i call 8 soliderity. keep it up please, u make it all worth while. no more words, no more!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kommentar

Great write up and great pictures to go with it, it looks as though you all had a good trip out together
        1997 M73

Kommentar

Lädt...
        X